Christmas might be a time to indulge and celebrate as a family, but do you know about the hidden-risks to your dog at this time of year – from toxic foods to dangerous seasonal plants? I have to be honest I didn’t have a clue that flowers including poinsettias can cause irritation four our beloved four-legged friends, so I thought I would share a few of the key dangers to help keep your dogs safe this Christmas.
Foods that your dog can’t enjoy this Christmas
- Christmas pudding and mince pies – or anything with grapes, currants, sultanas or raisins in – as the dried fruit is toxic to dogs
- Chocolate – the chemical theobromine, which is a bit like caffeine, is toxic to dogs
- Onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and chives – can cause vomiting and diarrhoea
- Cranberry sauce is high in sugar – so don’t let your dog sneak some at the dinner table
Christmas plants to keep be aware of with your dog
- Poinsettia – can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach – just keep out of reach of your dog
- Holly & Mistletoe – don’t let your dog ingest the berries can cause a stomach upset
- Christmas Tree – the pine needles can cause upset, so make sure to clear up fallen needles
- Ivy – can cause irritation and upset stomach
Want to share Christmas day with your pets, well there are so many great alternatives, check out your pet shop for dog-friendly mince pies, chocolate and even candy canes – then your pooch will feel like he is eating the same as you.
For more festive dog tips check out this great post by More Th>n.
Also, Falcon wanted to say a huge thank you to More Th>n for his festive hamper full of goodies including this fab bed – he loves it.