It’s officially summer, which means it is strawberry season, one of my favourite times of the year, and the desert that really is the epitome of a British summer has to be Eton Mess – because seriously, what’s not to love about meringue, strawberries and cream?
Yes, you could buy one, but seriously it is so easy to make your own, and it really will make any summer picnic or outdoor lunch perfect, as Eton Mess for me is best-served al fresco.
My Eton Mess only needs four ingredients, takes 10 minutes with no chilling involved, is super easy and so delicious.
OK, so, you could make the meringue yourself, I’ve tried, I’ve failed, and to be perfectly honest, I think it adds too much stress for very little difference in taste that I just prefer to buy ready-made ones from the supermarket.
- 6 ready-made meringues (basically, you need one meringue per person)
- 500g strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 500ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
Optional extra – add gin, kirsch or Cointreau – just make sure to soak the strawberries for a couple of hours first. For me, I just prefer to serve my Eton Mess with a jug of Pimms.
- Cut the strawberries in half.
- Take around a 1/3 of the strawberries to make a sauce, I usually just blitz in my food processor/Nutribullet.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar in a bowl until it forms soft peaks.
- Break/crush up the meringue and gently stir into the cream.
- Then start layering up your Eton Mess into glass dishes – start by adding a few strawberries into the bottom of each glass, before adding the cream and meringue mix, alternating with the strawberry sauce and more strawberries until every glass is filled.
- Leave a few strawberries and a little of the sauce to decorate the top of each one.
Want to mix up your Eton Mess, why not try gooseberries, a summer berry mix with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries or for a tropical makeover add mango and passion fruit.