When it comes to baking, I like simple and delicious, and my chocolate cupcakes are one of my go-to favourites when I want a chocolate fix, as they are easy to make and they always get lots of yummy remarks as they are soft and fluffy and a great addition with a cup of tea.
Much like my easy vanilla cupcake recipe, these chocolate cupcakes will take you less than an hour to make. Plus if you want to make a bulk batch, the sponge cupcakes without buttercream will easily freeze. Just defrost thoroughly and then decorate when you need them.
Decorating cupcakes is always a favourite of mine, but remember, your swirls of buttercream don’t have to be perfect, it isn’t how they look – it is how they taste, just have fun with it. I like to switch between buttercream using piping bags and making classic icing that you just drizzle over, but it is also easy to use sugar paste icing to great effect.
No matter whether buttercream, icing or sugar paste, make sure to add your favourite toppings from sprinkles to chocolate shavings, like I did in milk, white and dark chocolate to add texture to the cupcakes, or chocolate treats like M&Ms, Smarties or Malteasers. Best thing – anything goes – I also like using Oreos.
Time to Bake – Indulgent Chocolate Cupcakes
Prep Time: 15-30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
For the cupcake mixture
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100ml milk
- Pinch of salt
For the buttercream icing
- 100g butter, softened
- 150g icing sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 50g melted chocolate (dark or milk – whichever you prefer)
- Added decorations – like sprinkles, chocolate flakes, smarties, etc
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake paper cases.
- Using a stand mixer, like a KitchenAid or K-Mix, cream the butter and caster sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Then add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat into the butter mixture a little at a time, then gradually pour the milk into the mixture.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt, until the mixture drops perfectly off the spoon.
- Divide the cupcake mixture, evenly, into the paper cases until they are three-quarters full.
- Cook the cupcakes for 15-20 mins or until slightly golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes, before placing onto a wire rack.
To Make The Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- To make the chocolate buttercream frosting, slowly beat the butter until very soft. Then add the icing sugar, a little at a time, and beat until smooth using a little milk.
- Add the cocoa and beat again, add more milk if necessary to ensure your mixture is smooth and creamy. I generally beat the buttercream for around 5 minutes until fluffy.
- Then add in the melted chocolate, beat until mixed.
- Spoon the chocolate buttercream into a piping bag and add a nozzle of your choice, I love the star nozzle. Then ice the cupcakes in swirls, starting from the centre and working outwards.
- Final touch, add sprinkles, sweets, biscuits – anything you want to decorate your chocolate cupcake.