** Ad|features gifted items and affiliate links - for more on my Disclosure Policy click here**
Yeah it is knitwear season, and this autumn it is all about the humble cardigan taking centre stage, and forget those granny cardies, this season has so many options, from cropped beauties to slouchy cosy numbers, and even styles with cool buttons, square necklines and colourful hues, taking inspiration from the catwalks of Prada, Gucci, Balenciaga and Christopher Kane.
When it comes to creating a capsule wardrobe, a button-up knit is a must-have sleek separate that can be worn on its own with jeans, under blazers, slouchy and long over dresses, or tailored with a pencil skirt. So many options.
Cardigans aren’t old-fashioned any more – they are a cosy addition and I have a fabulous selection to inspire your next purchase – keep reading – I promise you will want them all – as well as some styling tips to make sure your knitted purchase looks chic and fashionable.
10 ways to style a cardigan this autumn
- Wear an oversized style with straight-leg jeans and a cute T-shirt
- Instead of reaching for a roll-neck or T-shirt to wear under your blazer, add a v-neck cardigan instead – larger buttons the better for me, you want people to see it is a cardigan
- For a sexy touch, size-up on your cropped cardigan to pull back over your shoulder, just team with a pleated skirt or over a tulle dress for a fun party look
- If chunky isn’t for you, buy a fine knit version and belt over a dress or a midi skirt
- Slouchy, slouchy, let your colourful beauty fall off your shoulders in a nonchalant way
- Try a midi-cardigan for a dressing gown vibe, only kidding, but will look cool with boyfriend jeans, trainers and a slogan sweatshirt
- Feeling adventurous why not wear your chunky wrap-style cardigan as a dress, just nip-in at the waist with a statement belt and wear with over-the-knee boots
- V-necks looks great layered, while round-necks look more relaxed, especially with the top few buttons open
- For a quaint but cool look snag a co-ord look, a matchy cardigan and knitted bralet, inspired by Katie Holmes – did you see how good she looked?
Never wanted a cashmere bra and matching chunky cardigan more – anyone else loving Katie Holmes' look? pic.twitter.com/xB55sJON1t— It's A Danielle Life (@ADanielleLife) August 29, 2019
Would you wear your cardigan backwards?
For the fashion-forward, or should I say backwards, turn your cardigan around and wear backwards, the v-neck will create a sexy feel with the buttons running down your back and a high-neck at the front. Works best on oversized styles that you can tuck in.